Born at Cedar Lane Farm on Sept. 30, 1867, Lorenzo Dow Suggs was the youngest son of William Suggs and Anna Jane Reaves. He spent his entire ninety-five years (d. Aug. 21, 1962) on the land in Bayboro Township where his grandfather, Charles had settled in the pre-American Revolutionary period.
Suggs loved the land and became a very successful farmer and was widely known over the Carolinas. He was a pioneer in tobacco planting, lettuce, strawberries, cucumbers, soybeans and bell pepper. In growing lettuce, he developed wide commercial markets in Richmond and Baltimore and later in the Carolinas and Georgia. In later years he planted his seven hundred thirty-two acre farm in corn, soybeans, wheat and oats, developing a market for the sale of seeds from his crops that were in demand by principal seed dealers.
While Suggs was sawmilling and farming, there were nine families who lived and worked on the farm. After he stopped sawmilling seven families continued to make their home at Cedar Lane Farm, planting and harvesting the crops. It was during this time that tokens were used to pay for work done on the farm. These tokens were made of brass. On one side they bore the name "L.D. Suggs, Loris, S.C." and on the other the dollar value and the words "Good for in Merchandise". They were graduated in size from the smallest 5 cents, through 10 cents, 25 cents, and 50 cents, to the largest $1.00 coin. Suggs operated a commissary on the farm which carried many useful items -- food, candy, clothing, shoes, etc. -- and the tokens were used to buy the supplies that the families needed.
A pioneer in modern farming and horticulture, Suggs was one of the first citizens of Horry County to buy a tractor and harvesting machine.
About the late 1920s he started growing amaryllis as a hobby. Grown from seeds, plants took three years to reach flowering stage. Suggs put stakes by the largest, most beautiful blooms and saved seeds from them to plant and make better, more beautiful flowers. He grew several acres of amaryllis. Blooming plants were dug to take to markets in North and South Carolina. People came from near and far to the farm to buy these bulbs for their own yards. He got a great deal of pleasure during the blooming season in April and May from picking blooms and sharing them with friends, churches and schools for graduation.
Suggs was interested in helping worthy young men acquire an education, especially those peparing for the ministry. He was a devoted member of Iona Methodist Church all of his life and served on the Board of Stewards for many years.
L.D. Suggs was active in the community. He pulled one of the first telephone lines from Cedar Lane Farm to the depot in Allsbrook. At that time he was sawmilling and needed to be able to order train cars to carry his timber to market.
In January, 1893, Suggs married Jeanette Cox, daughter of William and Charity Cox from the Simpson Creek community. They became parents of nine children. Their four sons were W. Kenneth, Grover C., Worth B. and L.D. Suggs, Jr.; their five daughters, Mrs. L.L. (Emma) Hughes, Mrs. R.E. (Birdie) Naugher, Mrs. Boyd (Dalma) Ludlam, Mrs. Joe E. (Grace) Carter and Mrs. D.A. (Janet) Harrelson. Mrs. Suggs died in June 1940.
[ Biography Index ] [ Home ]