The Reverend Morgan G. Lewis was born October 20, 1879 in the Green Sea community of Horry County to Hugh and Cela Beatty Lewis, the youngest of ten children. He attended the church schools in the area such as the High Hill school and the Old Silent Grove. Having reached adulthood, he met the charming Lola Mae Floyd, daughter of Stephen and Martha J. Floyd, and they were married in November, 1896. They were blessed with twelve children, nine boys, and thre girls, of which four sons are still living: Johnny D. Lewis of Elizabethtown, NC, Allard D. Lewis of Mullins, Christopher C. Lewis of Charleston, and Theodore R. Lewis, Sr. of Loris.
The Rev. Lewis purchased a twenty acre tract of land in Loris during the early 1900s from the Kingston Lake Baptist Association. He later built their home and resided there until his death in November, 1946. A portion of the land was sold to send two children to college, Edward W. Lewis and Plumer Lewis Green. Both would later return to Loris and teach in the school system for several years.
Lewis was ordained into the ministry in 1901 by the Kingston Lake Missionary Baptist Association. He was a lover of Gospel music and of Sunday School. He held the following positions in Kingston Lake Baptist Association: moderator and vice-moderator, moderator of the church union, president and vice-president of the Kingston Lake Sunday School Convention. He served on the executive board of the Association until his death. He also served as pastor of over fifty churches in Horry and neighboring counties, and churches in North Carolina as far away as Southport, and Bladenboro. In Loris, Rev. Lewis pastored Mt. Rona Baptist Church and was the founder of the Old Prince Chapel Church and the Mt. Olive Baptist Church in the Bayboto community and the Mt. Triumph Baptist Church near Conway.
After Lewis died, his widow Mrs. Lola Mae Floyd Lewis, built a new home on a piece of land her husband purchased earlier, which was on the corner of Lewis and Church Streets, and remained there until her death in September, 1956. Having lived there for so many years the Town of Loris named the street in honor of the family. The old homeplace has been torn down, but the memories still exist, in the hwts of the family, when on Christmas everyone would gather on the corner to share in the holiday with Grandma, all the grandchildren and the great-grandchildren.
[ Biography Index ] [ Home ]