Thurman Wilson Boyd
July 19, 1895-1979

From Loris Centennial 1887 - 1987 Souvenir Book

Thurman Wilson Boyd was born in the Beulah Community on July 19, 1895, the son of Henry W. and Sephrona Gause Boyd. His father served as postmaster of Michael around the turn of the century. The Michael post office was discontinued many years ago.

Upon returning as a veteran of World War I in 1918, Boyd attended summer school in Conway and taught school at Mt. Vernon, where he was principal. For a few years he rode a bicycle through much mud and on very bad roads from Beulah to Mt. Vernon (about four miles.)

On February 18, 1920, he took two hours off from school to marry Alice Stanley of the Red Bluff community.

During the Model T era, there were almost no cars in the community, and "Mr. Thurman," as he was belovedly called, helped the entire area. He carried people to the doctor, bought groceries, "filled out papers," helped students "work out arithmetic problems," and did whatever was needed to be done. He was a pillar in the local church.

In 1934 he and former Mayor J.D. Duncan, Sr. were partners in a thriving fertilizer business known as "Duncan and Boyd."

In 1937 he moved into the new house, built by his brother, which is now owned and occupied by his grandson, Truett Jones. In 1939 he was appointed local postmaster. At that time he was one of the top small-town postmasters and one of the first to be confirmed by the United States Senate for an indefinite commission. At that time the post office was located in the present 'After Gio Hairstyles' building on Railroad Street. The office was rated second class July 1, 1940. After a few years, the office moved to the present location of Hardee's IGA on Main Street. In May, 1961, the present, then new first-class post office was dedicated.

He served this town well -- on the Board of Deacons of the Loris First Baptist Church; as Sunday School Superintendent for 17 consecutive years; past Master of Loris Masonic Lodge No. 205; past District Deputy Grand Master; co-founder of Loris Rescue Squad; member of Civitan Club; past American Legion Post 41 Commander, and as a member of Omar Shrine Temple. He retired in 1965.

He had one daughter, Lois (Mrs. George Jones, Jr.) and two grandsons, George Tripp Jones, M.D., Of Columbia, and Boyd Truett Jones, Horry Telephone Cablevision Supervisor.

See Photo

Biography Index ]  [ Home ]


This web site is owned by the
Horry County Historical Society, 606 Main Street, Conway, SC 29526-4340.
Telephone 843-488-1966 or Horry County Historical Society

A 501(c)(3) non-profit organization
Submit information or report content errors to HCHS Web Site Administrator
.
©1966-2014 All rights reserved