Horry County Probate Court

May 15, 1974

The Court of Oridnary was established for Horry District in 1803 and continued as such until 1866. The name was then changed to Probate Court of Horry County. This Court handles Estates of deceased persons, both testate and intestate; all Testamentary Trusts; Guardianships of minor children; Committeeships for incompetent persons; admittances of mentally ill to the South Carolina State Hospital on medical certificates; issuances of marriage licenses and performs marriage ceremonies when asked to do so.

Our office staff consists of Mrs. Sandra P. Smith, employed by the Court March, 1968; Mrs. Elizabeth O. James, employed by the Court December, 1964; Mrs. Carolyn L. Wright, Deputy Judge of Probate Court, employed by the Court April, 1963; and W.C. Floyd, Judge of Probate, who took office January 2, 1959.

Court of Oridnary


Name                  Birth Death Term
Samuel Foxworth     1803 - 1805
William Hemingway     1806 - 1810
Henry Durant     1811 - 1816
      1817 - 1818
S.G. Singleton     1819 - 1822
John Durant     1823 - 1840
James Beaty     1841 - 1856
James A. Thompson     1857 - 1866

Probate Court


Name                  Birth Death Term
Joseph H. Harrell     1867 -
Noah B. Cooper     1868 - 1870
Isaac G. Long     1871 - 1872
Isaac Cannon     1873
Isaac G. Long     1874 - 1878
C.P. Quattlebaum     1879 - 1880
John N. Pearce     1880 - 1881
Thomas T. Sessions     1881-1882
J. M. Pearce     1882
John N. Pearce     1883 - 1884
William E. Hardwick Abt. 1831 Feb. 1903 1885 - 1903
Henry Norman Sessions     1903-1906
John Holt Abt. 1885 May 2, 1962 1907 - 1910
John Samuel Vaught, Jr. August 12, 1851 January 08, 1935 1911 - 1934
Henry Elmond Bourne September 18, 1894 April 17, 1964 1935 - 1942
Herbert Edgar Blanton November 19, 1879 March 26, 1962 1943 - 1958
William Cater Floyd     1959 -
Carolyn Wright      
Dianne Bufkin Creel     Present

The Independent Republic Quarterly
Vol.8 July 1974 No.3; Pg 22
Revisions made continually by members.

Officials ]   [ Home ]


This web site is owned by the
Horry County Historical Society, 606 Main Street, Conway, SC 29526-4340.
Telephone 843-488-1966 or Horry County Historical Society

A 501(c)(3) non-profit organization
Submit information or report content errors to HCHS Web Site Administrator
.
©1966-2011 All rights reserved