This picture of Peter Vaught, Sr. and Jr. is believed to have been taken ca. 1864. The Vaught Plantation, consisting of approximately 4,100 acres, was on the seaboard just north of Singleton Swash and below Briarcliff Acres, in the area that some refer to as “Restaurant Row” today (2005). During the War Between the States the Vaughts owned a large salt works operation that was located at the plantation along Singleton Swash. It was destroyed by the Union Navy. The destruction is described in the Official Records of the Union and Confederate Navies . That area was known as “Vaught” and had its own Post Office.
[Submitted by John Benjamin Burroughs]
[ Photo Index ] [ Home ]