Horry District Jail
This goal (jail) was built in 1825-27 in the village of Conwayborough to serve Horry District. It was designed by Robert Mills, regarded by many as the first native born American to become a professional architect. Mills was born in Charleston, SC and studied architecture under Thomas Jefferson. The jail featured an interior "hanging room". Notice the earthquake rods that were installed in the building after the Great Charleston Earthquake of August 1886. Mills also designed the Horry District Court House (built 1824-25) which stood adjacent to the jail in downtown Conwayborough. The old court house was later purchased by the Town of Conway for use as the Conway Town Hall. The jail was demolished by the City in the 1970s to make room for a parking lot.
[John Benjamin Burroughs]
[ Places & Things ] [ Home ]
This web site is owned by the
Horry County Historical Society, 606 Main Street, Conway, SC 29526-4340.
Telephone 843-488-1966 or Horry County Historical Society
A 501(c)(3) non-profit organization
Submit information or report content errors to HCHS Web Site Administrator.
©1966-2014 All rights reserved