Pisgah United Methodist Church History

Contributed by Glenda Moore


THE HISTORY OF A CHURCH IS EXTREMELY IMPORTANT, WHETHER IT BE A BRIEF OR DETAILED HISTORY, FOR IT DEPICTS THE CHRISTIAN COMMITMENT OF THE PEOPLE WHO ORGANIZED AND MAINTAINED THE CHURCH. OUR HISTORY IS BRIEF AND CONFINED TO THE ORIGINAL BEGINNING OF PISGAH METHODIST CHURCH. SOME OF THE NAMES ARE FAMILIAR, SOME ARE NOT. WHEN ONE READS BETWEEN THE LINES, ONE WILL SEE THE COMMITMENT TO HAVE A "PREACHING PLACE" FOR THE PEOPLE CALLED METHODIST. OUR HEARTFELT GRATITUDE IS EXPRESSED TO THE GOOD PEOPLE OF THE AREA, WHO LIVED YEARS AGO, FOR PROVIDING US A PLACE TO WORSHIP AND A CHURCH FROM WHICH WE CAN MINISTER.

FEBRUARY 8, 1802

BY REQUEST OF MR. JOHN JAMES, I HAVE LAID OUT UNTO THE TRUSTEES APPOINTED FOR THE USE OF THE CONNECTIONS OF THE METHODIST CHURCH ONE ACRE OF GROUND FOR A PREACHING HOUSE HAVING SUCH FORM AND MARKS AS THE PLOT REPRESENTS.

JOSIAH LEWIS, D.S.

BE IT KNOWN UNTO ALL CHRISTIAN PEOPLE WHOM IT MAY CONCERN: THAT WE, JOHN JAMES AND PATIENCE JAMES, OF THE STATE OF SOUTH CAROLINA, COUNTY OF KINGSTON OF CHINNERS SWAMP, FOR AN IN CONSIDERATION OF THE PURE LOVE AND GOOD WILL, WE HAVE AND BEAR TOWARD GOD AND THIS CHURCH AND THE PEOPLE CALLED METHODIST, HAVE GIVEN AND GRANTED BY THE PRESENCE FREELY, CLEARLY AND ABSOLUTELY GIVE AND GRANT UNTO:

JAMES HULLON, THOMAS HUMPHREYS, ROBERT JORDAN, RICHARD GREEN THOMAS KIRTON, ABRAHAM SKIPPER, JESSE SIKES

PERSONS HEREBY NOMINATED AND APPOINTED TRUSTEES FOR AND IN BEHALF OF SAID METHODIST CONNECTION AND TO THEIR SUCCESSORS IN OFFICE FOREVER.

IT WAS WITNESSED BY SAMUEL AND JOSIAH LEWIS THE 23RD DAY OF FEBRUARY 1802.
IT WAS SWORN TO THE 25TH DAY OF FEBRUARY 1802 IN THE PRESENCE OF S. FOXWORTH J.C. AND RECORDED THE 5TH DAY OF MAY 1806.

ON THE 23RD DAY OF FEBRUARY , ISRAEL THOMPKINS' DEED TO TWO ACRES, GAINING THE ACRE GIVEN BY JOHN AND PATIENCE JAMES AND WAS SWORN TO THE 25TH DAY OF FEBRUARY 1802 AND RECORDED THE 5TH DAY OF MAY 1806 IN GEORGETOWN DISTRICT (GEORGETOWN COUNTY). THIS CHURCH WAS BUILT BETWEEN THE PRESENT DAY CHURCH AND CHINNERS SWAMP. ON NOVEMBER 14, 1874, HELLON V. SMITH AND WILLIAM FLOYD GAVE TWO ACRES, THE PRESENT LOCATION, AND THE TRUSTEES WERE:

EDWIN C. JAMES, JAMES C. KIRTON, JEFFERSON JONES, WILLIAM E.P. COOPER, AND JOHN L. JONES

RECORDED IN HORRY COUNTY ON THE 22ND DAY OF MARCH 1901. THIS CHURCH, THIS SANCTUARY, WAS BUILT UPON THIS LAND. THE SUNDAY SCHOOL ROOMS WERE ADDED IN 1929 AND 1930. AND IN 1938, THE CHURCH WAS BRICK VENEERED AND THE PORCH WAS ADDED. IN 1968 THE FELLOWSHIP HALL WAS ADDED TO THE CHURCH. IN 1975 THE SANCTUARY WAS RENOVATED AND A CHOIR LOFT WAS ADDED. THE STEEPLE WAS ADDED IN 1984, RINGING HEAVENLY MUSIC THROUGHOUT THE DOG BLUFF COMMUNITY. IN 1995 THE FOUNDATION WAS LAID FOR A LARGER FELLOWSHIP HALL.

PISGAH CHURCH HAS GROWN THROUGH THE YEARS AND MAY GOD'S BLESSING REST UPON IT. MAY IT CONTINUE TO GROW THROUGH THE YEARS AHEAD AND IN THE HOLY SPIRIT AS A BEACON TO THOSE WHO ARE LOST IN SIN.

Places & Things ]  [ Home ]


This web site is owned by the
Horry County Historical Society, 606 Main Street, Conway, SC 29526-4340.
Telephone 843-488-1966 or Horry County Historical Society

A 501(c)(3) non-profit organization
Submit information or report content errors to HCHS Web Site Administrator
.
©1966-2014 All rights reserved