Will of William Baldwin
21 September 1801
Will Book 1
Bladen County, NC
In the Name of God, "Amen".
I, William Baldwin of the State of North Carolina being of sound and perfect memory and mind, Blessed be God, do make this the 21st day of September in the year of Our Lord one thousand eight hundred and one do make and publish this my last will and testament in manner and following that is to say:
And I hereby make and ordain my worthy wife, viz: Penelope Baldwin and Charles Baldwin, David Baldwin and William Baldwin my sole executors of this my last will and testament.
- First - I give and bequeath to my well beloved wife Penelope Baldwin two negroes as follows: Pat and John, also I give her one horse named Blase, by her to be possessed and disposed of at her good will and pleasure.
- I also give to my well beloved daughter Elizabeth the following negroes named Judy and Tinker. I also give her one horse named Buck, by her freely to be possessed forever.
- I also give and bequeath to my beloved son Charles Baldwin, the following negroes, viz: Isaac, Effie, and Arthur. I also give him one horse named Dolphin by him to be freely possessed forever.
- I also give and bequeath to my well beloved son David Baldwin the following negroes, viz: Tom, Sam, and Diner. I also give him one horse named Smoked, by him to be freely possessed forever.
- I also give unto my well beloved daughter Esther the following negroes, viz: Else and Peter. I also give her one mare named Mols, by her to be freely possessed forever.
- I also give my well beloved son William Baldwin the following negroes, Jack, James, and Peggy. I give him one mare and colt by him to be freely possessed forever.
- I also give and bequeath to my well beloved daughter Penelope the following negroes, viz: Ben and Beck. I also give her one horse named Starling to be freely possessed by her forever.
- "NB" I also give and bequeath to my beloved son Charles, four hundred and fifty seven acres of land and upper part of the plantation whereon his father formerly lived.
- I also give and bequeath to my son David, four hundred and fifty eight acres of land the lower part of the plantation above mentioned.
- I give and bequeath to my son William three hundred and fifty acres of land, viz: the marsh land or plantation and the land purchased of James Green and James Elise.
- I leave my cattle to be equally divided by the consent of the heirs among themselves and household furniture I leave to be divided among themselves equally.
In witness whereof I the said William Baldwin have to this last will and testament set my hand and seal the day and year above written.
Signed, sealed, published and declared by the said William Bauldwin to be his last Will and Testament in the presence of us, and in the presence of each other, who were present at the time of signing and sealing therof.
This will was provided by Butch Butler. His site has more information and can be found here.
[ Wills ] [ Home ]
This web site is owned by the
Horry County Historical Society, 606 Main Street, Conway, SC 29526-4340.
Telephone 843-488-1966 or Horry County Historical Society
A 501(c)(3) non-profit organization
Submit information or report content errors to HCHS Web Site Administrator.
©1966-2014 All rights reserved